Friday, March 30, 2007

School for Creative Procrastination


Click for easier title viewing.

This was fun. I didn't have time to get artsy1 with it, but since I'm a cum laude graduate of the School for Creative Procrastination, I made an entry for LibraryThing's March bookpile contest2.

I wrote a little blurb to go with it:
I find myself planning one million and one projects every spring.

I dream of getting into peak condition, staying on a diet, and cooking healthier. I can't wait to plant the garden, finish the spring cleaning, and get that chick order in. I'm determined to read educational blogs, brush up on my Shakespeare, and learn Italian. I want to key out every wildflower. Identify each bird, snake, and butterfly that flaps, slithers, or flitters by. Plus of course I plan to have plenty of spare time to lie in the hammock and relax with seasonal poetry, a garden memoir, an herbal mystery, and a flower confidential.

Hope SPRINGS eternal.

(Yes, it's corny! But I couldn't resist the need to explain to the imaginary critic over my shoulder why I had Conversational Italian and so forth in a pile of spring books.)

I didn't actually get a chick order in though. We decided that since we actually are on a diet3 and not eating many eggs, that we probably didn't need 25 more chickens (the minimum order). I thought we might just pick up a few chicks4 at the co-op, but they didn't get any this year.

-----

Part of the fun was putting in books that you might recognize. Like Susan's or Amy's or a few others that May have been mentioned here before.

-----
1I believe the technical term is artsy fartsy.

2You can too, but hurry because the deadline is tomorrow noon.

3I've lost 15 pounds. Woohoo! Only (mumble, mumble) left to go.

4Heh.

-----

Edited to add:
Woohoo! I won 3rd runner up! Thanks Susan for pointing me to LT.

12 comments:

Karen Schmautz said...

15 pounds! That's great. I guess I'll have to get moving. I've been trying to get my steps back up to 12,000 per day. I had a real setback last year and now I'm paying.

I like your book pile. I'll have to check out that link.

Trailhead said...

Moosewood Restaurant's Low-Fat Favorites! YES! Their recipe for chiliquiles is sublime.

Anonymous said...

Very nice LT bookpile! I've been meaning to make one, but I think I've run out of Time - that elusive creature.

Cathy said...

I think we sat side by side in the 'School for Creative Procrastination', but I earned the summa cum laude :0)
Your blurb is perfect, just perfect.

Rachel said...

Wow, 15 pounds!! That is great!! I also need to lose mumble mumble pounds!!

Procrastination. Yes, I know how that is!!

Anonymous said...

Chickens! I will have to keep an eye on your blog, since we are considering getting some hens. Was the book helpful?

Rurality said...

Thanks y'all. Hope I can keep going with the weight loss.

Hick I thought of you when I posted this... I probably didn't give you enough time for this one, but they have one every month so you should definitely enter. The rules changed on it over the months I think, and now people are getting artsy all over it. :) In those comment links on LT there are a couple that are VERY nice pics.

Trailhead, I haven't tried that one! Will have to dig it back out from the pile. :) (Did you know your link will not click back through to your profile?)

Tracy, it seems like the artsy pics have won a lot lately, but the fun part for me was just picking out the books. I knew there was some good reason for having a jillion of them. :)

Cathy, good to know I'm not the only one. :)

Rachel I'll probably do another post about the weight a little later. This 15-pound loss has been since Deember. It was really hard for me to get going with it... hubby has lost more than me. The cad.

Bug girl, yes! It's a very good book. I think that was the only time in my life I've ever bought only ONE book on a subject. But between that and the internet it worked out fine. And I can definitely recommend chickens. Besides the eggs, they are good therapy!

R.Powers said...

Hooray for you! That's a whole turkey!

Woohoo!!

For those creamy salad dressings: get it on the side and dip your fork in it before spearing salad. You get the flavor with minimal dressing.

Annie in Austin said...

The book pile idea is totally fascinating, Rurality. I'm glad you put a Susan Albert herb mystery and Amy's newest book in your pile so we have a couple in common. We each have books in the same categories, but by different authors.
The Brush Up Your Shakespeare sounds like one to check out.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Rurality said...

FC, I've heard that but haven't tried it... I've been trying to use lower-fat dressings and add just a small amount.

Annie, it was hard deciding which ones to put in... sometimes I just went with the more legible titles!

Ontario Wanderer said...

I managed loose 4 pounds but gained three of them back. Sigh.

Meanwhile, I see 5 of the books from our library on your stack. My Newcomb's looks a lot more used than yours however.

Rurality said...

Newcomb's is great but of course it leaves out a lot that's here, since it's technically for the northeast. But I haven't found anything like it for this area.

Still, I have keyed out many a plant using that gem of a book.

You want to see "falling apart condition", you should see my copy of Alabama Wildflowers!