Thursday, August 11, 2005

Chicken Noodle Soup

I'm feeling a little under the weather.

---
CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP

3 chicken breast halves
2 stalks of celery, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 cans cream of chicken soup
6 - 12 ounces (dry) dumpling egg noodles
salt & pepper to taste
minced garlic to taste (can use 1 teaspoon minced garlic in a jar)
1 Tablespoon butter or margarine
1 teaspoon granulated chicken bouillon

Cook chicken in a large pot, approximately 3/4 full of water. After chicken is cooked, remove from pot and set aside to cool. Using the chicken broth in the pan, add the chopped celery and carrots. Cook until tender. Add the noodles to the broth and cook until tender. Stir in the cans of soup. Chop the chicken and add back into the other ingredients. Add the butter and other seasonings.
---

I'm not sure where the recipe came from originally. My friend B.J. made it for us one time when we were both sick. Her friend Pat had made it for her, and so on.

Last night I made it for myself.

I used the lesser amount of noodles, which is about half of a package. The more you add, the thicker the soup becomes. I normally add mushrooms also. And if I'm feeling picky I like the chicken torn rather than chopped.

The butter and the bouillon probably aren't really necessary but I add them anyway most of the time, just in case they contain extra healing power.

The first time I made it, the "large pot" instruction frustrated me a little... How large is large? I use my 4.5 Quart pot and it works out just fine.

6 comments:

Johnny C. said...

That sounds good. I'm craving it now.

Get well!

robin andrea said...

Hope you're feeling better soon. That recipe sounds delicious. It should do the trick in no time!

R.Powers said...

My kids know that getting sick means Dad is making chicken noodle soup for supper. They love it. I think they get sick just to have it sometimes. Not to sound like an old granny or anything, but it does seem to work!

Anonymous said...

"How large is large?"

You were and engineer in a past life, weren't you?

I hope you feel better soon since I start my days reading your posts (though I may way until mid-day to make a comment).

Anonymous said...

soup sounds wonderful! hope you are soon feeling better!

Rurality said...

Thanks y'all. I'm feeling better but don't have much energy.

Sticklers will also note that this is one of those recipes for soup that calls for cans of soup as an ingredient. Sometimes that sort of thing drives me crazy, but I've decided to let it slide on this occasion since the cream of chicken in question does add a lot to the final soup. It really is yummy.

Pablo, yep, engineering was my former job! :)