Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Zephyr squash



Our first Zephyr squash. Should be ready to eat tonight!

I may have mentioned before that it's an experimentation year for squash. I planted eight different varieties, plus had one come up volunteer in the compost pile.

That volunteer squash turned out to be an acorn squash, sort of. It's either a not-true-from-seed hybrid or it's from the seed of a cross-pollinated one, because it was white-fleshed and not tasty at all. It was a pseudo-vegetable.

I have high hopes for my Zephyrs though. I'll let you know how it goes!

(As you can probably see in the picture, the grass in the garden really took off with the recent rain.)

11 comments:

KFarmer said...

My squash is finished.. the geese (around 30) managed to get in the garden and cause mass destruction before the Mighty Miss Dog found them and chased them out. Oh well, good luck with yours :)

Happy gardening! We got well over 2 inches of much needed rain here. How much did you guys get?

Rurality said...

Got one inch, then 1/4 inch, then 1/8 inch. Hoping we might get some more. Yippee!

robin andrea said...

The zephyr looks like a combination of yellow crookneck and zucchini. Yum. How will you prepare it?

Hope you get as much rain as you need.

DeeMom said...

YUM O do share the Recpie

lisa said...

I bet your volunteer was a cross-pollinaed imposter of some sort. One year, I planted my butternut squash too close to the watermelon-ended up with nothing but disgusting "squatermelons"! I never knew til' then just how "slutty" vine crops are in their pollination habits! :)
(Or do we blame the bees?)

Dana said...

Hey! Thanks for coming over to my blog today. As for the wine...someday Alabama will allow direct shipping, because when I move back I'd like to continue being a consultant there.

Twinks. said...

Wow, I'm not much of a squash eater, but even that looked tasty! I hope it goes well!

Twinks

R.Powers said...

Eeeuuuuu! Squash.
I never learned to appreciate it.

Hey, we got rain today! All it took was the local town to plan a big fireworks display!

Anonymous said...

this photo should come with a recipe. pretty squash- how will you fix it?
Going back to catch up on music...

Anonymous said...

We had the same problem with our volunteer squash - they were zephr crossed with who knows what, and we've taken to calling them "toad squash" - they are the most evil tasting things EVER. When E cooked and ate a piece of the first one we picked, he was sick all night long. Ick. :) Thankfully our volunteer pattypans - tons of them! - came back true to type, and our winter squash are chugging along nicely. :)

cyndy said...

Hey~ that zephyr is purdy!