Friday, November 17, 2006

What a wonderful bird the frog are

Hubby took a branch-trimming break to show me this cute little Gray Treefrog (Hyla versicolor) he'd found. They have got to be the most willing-to-pose frog species in existence. Just like the one from last year, he didn't budge the whole time I had the camera practically up his nose.



I included this poem in the previous post too, but I like it so much I'm using it again. Something about the Gray Treefrog just brings it out in me.

What a wonderful bird the frog are!
When he stand he sit almost;
When he hop he fly almost.
He ain't got no sense hardly;
He ain't got no tail hardly either.
When he sit, he sit on what he ain't got almost.

-Anonymous

------

More crittery goodness at the Friday Ark.

9 comments:

Kathie said...

I have such a fondness for frogs - thanks for sharing the photo!

Rachel said...

I like frogs too. He's a cutie! But then they all are.

I was reading your post about finding 4 leaf clovers. That brought back memories of my Mom.
She used to find so many and I still have some pressed in my Bible. I look sometimes but I don't find any. She must have had the natural talent too!

Anonymous said...

The frog kind of looks like he's(?) riding a snakes back..

Deb said...

That is one of the only tree frog species we have around here. I have found them in very unusual places, including in bed at 3 AM. My son has this thing about bringing in creatures...

R.Powers said...

Swampy will love this, she is a treefrogophile.

Great shot. I've found them while tree trimming too, but only after they moved. Their camo is so great!

Ontario Wanderer said...

Yes, we have the Gray Treefrog in Ontario too but they are very hard to find, except by accident. I don't think I have ever found one by actually looking for it. I do love their calls too.

Any one of my favourite Anonymous poems . . .

Ki said...

Do these cry out in the night with a peeent peent sound? I've been trying to identify sounds I hear in stands of trees here. Great photo.

John said...

Hello,
Just wondering about the "what a wonderful bird the frog are" poem... a coworker of mine said he had a biology teacher who would instuct everyone in his class to Memorize the piece...is this where you heard of this poem?? we live over here in Pennsylvania...

Rurality said...

Thanks everybody.

You can hear the sounds here.

I think I found this poem by accident when I was trying to look up frog info online!