Friday, June 20, 2008

Green and black cicada

Tibicen linnei

Newly emerged Linne's Cicada, Tibicen linnei. Looking pretty spiffy, especially considering the dirt nap.


I think that this is Linne's Cicada, but as you can see here, the Tibicen cicadas are very similar.

Go here to hear some of the songs.


Submitted to the Friday Ark.


NCmountainwoman said...

We had cicadas to the north, south, and east of us, but none in our county. I never knew there were so many different kinds.

karl said...

very alien ET looking creature. either an ailen or the ship in which they invade;)

Cookie Jill said...

Hubba hubba...what a cutie...

zenmasterlauren said...

oh that is a great find! we have big trees on the front line of our property and I absolutely love hearing them...such a sign of summer!

Annie in Austin said...

Sometimes we hear cicadas in our neighborhood but very seldom see them - I wonder if the birds and squirrels eat them too quickly? Yours is a lovely color, Rurality.
The last cicadas I saw were the "Seventeen Year Locust" in Illinois a year ago.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

pablo said...

And ready for her close up too.

Pamela said...

I heard them once --- when we were in Delaware. They were deafening.

Rurality said...

NCMW, none? That is strange! Here's they're a regular summer orchestra.

Karl, yeah I think it's those wide-set eyes. :)

Jill, OK you're scaring me now!

Lauren, I get so used to hearing them that it's just like background noise. But I think I'd miss it if it weren't there.

Annie, I'd never seen one this color before. I never used to see them either, only their empty shells. But out here in the country - I don't know if they are more abundant, or if I'm just outside more.

Pablo, yeah! She wasn't too coordinated yet though.

Pamela, you get used to it. :)

Jen said...

That is an extremely cute cicada.

spookydragonfly said...

We had the cicadas that come once every 17 years..a few years ago. We live on 16-1/2 acres, way back, completely surrounded by trees...we were just building our cabin and camped in a small storage barn as we built on the weekends...when THEY came...encircled by all the woods...I thought I was going to lose my mind..just deafening! hubby drove me into town ao we could sit in a DQ for awhile!!!...mmm?? many years do I have left before the next invasion?!