Monday, May 18, 2009

Ain't no sunshine

The sun came out long enough to make a Sun Dog.



Still no garden planted. Too wet. We were under three miserable inches of rain this weekend. Last year it would have been a blessing — this year it's just increasingly annoying.

The forecast is for at least 3 days of sun though, so keep your fingers crossed for me.

-----

The temperature dropped so low last night that the heat came on at 1:23 am. I know the time, because the smoke alarm was also roused (presumably just from dust). In the hour+ that it took me to fall back asleep, I wondered if I should create a "grab and go" drawer of important things that I wouldn't want to get burned up. I was secretly proud that my purse and cell phone had been within arm's reach. (But not my computer.)

-----

My new words for the week:
Chatoyancy
Nixtamalization

6 comments:

mountainmelody said...

Want more new words? You should check out A Word a Day: http://wordsmith.org/awad/ (no, they're not paying me!)

Rurality said...

Ooh, thanks! I used to be on the mailing list for a similar page, but I think I'll like this one a lot better.

countrypeapie said...

This rain is really starting to bring me down. Hard to grasp saying that in Alabama. We actually considered firing up the wood burning stove last night. Again, hard to grasp saying that in Alabama. Will have to check out the words. I like words.

R.Powers said...

Send your rain! Actually, we are getting a little lately.

Rurality said...

Meg, me too. I'm hoping we'll have a dry week though!

FC, I have sent it already. Prepare to be wet.

Ericka said...

lots of rain here too. so gloomy. and cold. i've worn wool sweaters to work for the last couple of days. brr!

definitely check out awad - he's a nifty guy.