Thursday, February 12, 2009

Stumpery



Squirrels have their own ideas about what makes a good stumpery. "Feeding platforms, a must-have!"



This is what remains of our old falling tree problem.



Turkey-tailish fungi march up one side and down the next.



Flamboyant fungus.

-----

I only learned about stumperies earlier this week, when a friend sent me an article about the one on Vashon Island. (Pat Riehl, the owner of that one, will be speaking at the B'ham Fern Society lecture in May.)

-----

Trying to google images of stumperies brought me to an interesting blog, the Folly Fancier, who had featured this stumpish superstructure.

I saw that FF had also written about the Lupercale grotto, another coincidence, since of course Lupercalia starts tomorrow.

-----

And a dog nicknamed Stump just won the Westminster dog show.

7 comments:

lisa said...

I learn sooo much cool stuff from your blog! Now I want to make a stumpery, and it will sure fit right in with my woodland "decor". (Plus you just can't ever have too many ferns! :)

robin andrea said...

Very interesting. I had no idea that stumps were used in such ways. I wish that Vashon Island article had more photos. I would have loved seeing all those stumps.

Pamela said...

clever how you pulled that all together in the last sentence.

We have a bunch of stumps in one corner of our yard. We put them there and our grandkids like to jump from one to antoher and back around.

In the winter I put bird seed on them.

Nothing like that other cool stuff you said. But I'm easy. ha ha.

Rurality said...

Lisa, I thought it was hilarious that people can mistake stumperies for brush piles. Sounds like my kind of garden. :)

RA, if you search on Google Images for "stumperies" you will find a few more.

Pamela, you'll see one just like that, if you look at Google images! :)

Cindy said...

I love the photos of stumps! Thank you. They are so pretty. Reading through you blog, I see you live in the same town I stayed in when I visited Alabama 6 years ago. Nice place!

Rurality said...

Hi Wildeve, Really, you stayed here? Cool!

Cindy said...

I did! My ex's family gave him a trip to the races for his 50th birthday. I went with him. I saw the covered bridges and went to a nice Antiques Mall a little to the North. The people in town were so nice.
Now my BF's mother has just moved to Talladega.
I love your wildflower pictures!