Monday, March 15, 2010

Evidence



Pileated woodpeckers wuz here... Dryocopus pileatus calling card.

This fallen log is along the path that I've been taking to scout wildflowers. They bloom first on the higher elevations, and I've made the trek two or three times in the past week, with no luck. Nothing blooming yet. It's been an unusually cold winter, followed by an annoyingly tardy spring.

Since it's been raining in near-biblical proportions, I get to tromp through plenty of mud and standing water to reach the higher elevations. A good test for my new rain boots, I guess, but now I feel slightly guilty at how abused they look, so soon out of the box.

Plants are starting to emerge, at least. It won't be much longer.

Via my superior weather radar-sleuthing skills, I suspected that it would rain again before we got back. I was right. Next time, we're taking two umbrellas... I keep forgetting that somebody is a lot taller than me, for umbrella purposes.

6 comments:

R.Powers said...

My pileateds are tres active right now.

LauraP said...

Active here, too, in the rain and pileated departments, and the boots show evidence of much loving use. Do not feel guilty about that well-worn look -- how sad for those poor boots who sit unloved and unused, ignored and pretty in the closet.

Dirty Girl Gardening said...

love the post title...

Pablo said...

Let's have a gander at those boots of yours.

Rurality said...

Here is what the boots looked like new. I got them on a good sale!

Rurality said...

Very comfy. Good arch support!