Monday, March 22, 2010

Finally wonderful, Pt 2



Bloodroot (Sanguinaria canadensis). The bloodroots are almost two weeks late this year, due to cold weather.



I haven't tackled moss identification yet. This is a common one here.



Cutleaf Toothwort (Cardamine concatenata). Most of them are still not open yet.



First damselfly of the season. They are frustratingly difficult to identify.



Hepatica (Hepatica nobilis). You know it's a late spring, when the hepatica aren't open til after mid-March. I've found them blooming in January and February, most years.



The beavers are out in force and at it again.

Yesterday was decidedly not wonderful (got colder, rained all day). And snow flurries this morning! I think the wonderful is due to return tomorrow, though.

10 comments:

Pablo said...

I'm not sure what I'm seeing in that last photo.

elizabeth said...

The wildflowers aren't blooming yet in TN, we went camping and hiking there over the weekend. Love your pics - can't wait to see some in person!

Ericka said...

it's finally spring here - yay! and everything is blooming. i do feel for the people with allergies, but i love it.

i was fascinated by blood root as a child - my dad showed me how the leaves would bleed if you cut them - and i've really liked them ever since. great pictures!

Rurality said...

Pablo, that's a stick that the beavers have been chewing on.

Thanks Elizabeth, I'm hoping to get out again this week and look for more.

Ericka, thanks, yeah I've been a little sniffly from the pollen, but it's worth it. :)

robin andrea said...

So nice to see flower pics posted here again! Spring has definitely arrived. Yay!

Dirty Girl Gardening said...

I want that moss!

Annie in Austin said...

Until I saw your photo it had slipped my mind that bloodroot grew in our Illinois garden - haven't seen it in years but how delicately it speaks of spring. The hepatica is so sweet!

Hope wonderful beats not wonderful this week, Rurality.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Rurality said...

Thanks, y'all!

Ontario Wanderer said...

Great to see the wild flowers that are still underground here. Another couple of weeks perhaps, and we should see some of these.

countrypeapie said...

Love that moss.