Thursday, December 29, 2005

Beechdrops

On our walk the other day, hubby and I were looking for something specific (Puttyroot leaves - more on that later). We didn't find any. But this was just as exciting.



I'm fairly certain that these were Beechdrops (Epifagus virginiana), a plant that's parasitic on the roots of Beech trees.

I've never seen them before, even though many references call them "common". They probably bloomed in October, but from the photos I've seen, they look about the same whether they're blooming or not. (No chlorophyll.)



OK, I guess you have to be a total wildflower geek to think that this is exciting. But I am, so I do!

Interesting write-up with historical references here.

8 comments:

robin andrea said...

Not nearly a wildflower geek as you are, but I find these very interesting. Glad you found them and shared them. Cool.

Chris O'Byrne said...

Actually, this is very cool! But then, I get excited by lichens.

Chris O'Byrne
Birding the Arivaca Cienega

Jenn said...

Coolness!

And don't forget to tell us about Putty root leaves... sounds like something from Harry Potter's Apothecary!

R.Powers said...

Neat...curious about puttyroot tho. I will resist the urge to google it so I can learn about it here first.

Happy and Blue 2 said...

How fascinating. And it does look kind of like putty..

swamp4me said...

Beechdrops, indeed. We have lots around here and you're right, it is hard to tell when they are in "bloom."
Great photos.

Ontario Wanderer said...

Yes indeed, Beechdrops grow and bloom here in Ontario too. I wonder if I can put a photo in a comment box. Here's trying:

If it came through, it's a photo by Ron Hepworth who is a friend that puts photos and wild flower information on my wild flower site.

OK, it didn't work. Try looking here:
http://www.deanswildflowers.com/Blog/Dc30_beechdrops_RonH.jpg

Rurality said...

Thanks y'all. Well hubby and I went walking again, and this time he found lots of beechdrops in another area. Still pretty cool though.

Jenn & FC, they will be coming up soon! :)

OW that's a nice pic. I can't wait to see ours blooming too.