Sunday, September 17, 2006

More rambling, and a recipe


More natural graffiti

-----

Stu, Ron, and Chris all did the same "Things I've Done" type meme. I noted that there were three things I'd done that none of them had.

Since I'm anal, I had to also list the things they'd all three done, that I hadn't:

23. Gotten drunk on champagne (Tipsy, maybe. I don't like getting drunk.)

24. Given more than you can afford to charity (Nope. Geez I sound cheap. On the other hand, I can't remember spending "more than I could afford" on anything for me either.)

26. Had an uncontrollable giggling fit at the worst possible moment (Giggling fits, yes, worst possible moment, no.)

29. Asked out a stranger (Too shy, shy.)

36. Danced like a fool and not cared who was looking (I think in my dancing days I was always pretty self-conscious about it.)

84. Performed on stage (Not unless you count grammar school stuff. I was brilliant as the tail end of a horse in that Girl Scout skit, though.)

85. Been to Las Vegas

100. Picked up and moved to another city to just start over

101. Walked the Golden Gate Bridge

132. Petted a cockroach (Roach petting is apparently more common than I'd imagined.)

-----

Mom's Peach Crumble

Crumble:
1 egg white
1/2 C sugar (100 g)
1/4 C chopped pecans (40 g)
1/2 C rolled oats (use the one minute type) (45 g)

Pudding part:
1 - 1.1 oz fat-free sugar-free vanilla pudding mix (31 g)
1 C skim milk (240 ml)
1 - 8 oz nonfat vanilla yogurt (Mom uses peach instead) (228 g)
4 medium peaches, peeled & sliced

Beat egg white until stiff. Add sugar, mixing until creamy. Fold in pecans and oats. Spread mixture thinly on cookie sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 10 - 20 minutes. Should be a little brown on top. Remove from sheet to cool. Crumble.

Mix milk & pudding. Stir until thick. Add yogurt & stir. In a small casserole dish, alternate layers of peaches and pudding mix. Top with crumbles. Chill & serve. 8 servings.

I think the crumbles should be held til right before eating, since the pudding makes them soggy before long.

The better the peaches, the better the whole Crumble. I don't think it would be the same with canned peaches. (Come winter I might have to try it though.)

To be so healthy, it's actually really good. I may start listing more of my recipes here since I seem to be developing a tendency to misplace them. (If you've seen my recipe that involves lentils, couscous, an onion, and lots of cumin, please let me know! I thought it was from Prevention but I can't find it on their site.)

-----

For non-American cooks, I used the recipe conversions found here.

-----

Never mind about the lentil recipe - found it!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm seeing a message in that graffiti. It says "Take a nap, Pablo!" Cool!

Molly said...

Hi, I saw your comment on Back in the Day...(gawilli) When I clicked on your profile, I found that we have some favorite books in common. Your photographs are beautiful.

Nickie said...

hi, Im a cockroach petter myself ;)

Love your blog:)

Rurality said...

Pablo, I think you're reading it exactly. Something was whispering that to me all afternoon.

Thanks MJD, and thanks for visiting!

GGG, thanks. I wonder how that trend got started...?

gawilli said...

36. Danced like a fool and not cared who was looking (I think in my dancing days I was always pretty self-conscious about it.)

Some would probably say that I look like a fool when I dance, but I do it anyway, in all my glory.

Thanks for the recipe.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're my kind of person!

OldRoses said...

Your photos are great and so are your recipes. Now that the weather has cooled down, I'm cooking again (no air conditioning). I tried the shrimp recipe. You can read my review of it on my cooking blog: The Wooden Spoon.

lisa said...

"drunk on champagne"-the puking is hell-NOT worth it, moderation here is key!

"asked out a stranger"-you avoided the potential danger, nothing to feel bad about!

"performed on stage"-actually rather cathartic and helpful to one's self-esteem...never too late to try it! (I did it in high school)

"moved to start over"-also very cathartic...I did it when I moved to WI, didn't know a soul up here. I just knew I was sick of 35 years in my hometown (250,000 people), and I liked the climate up here, despite the size (1,500 people)...the big lesson-no matter WHERE you go, people are basically the same in the ways that matter. You can make friends, have a life, and it will really be okay...VERY good knowlege to have!