Tuesday, September 19, 2006

A Sweetie



Over the weekend we celebrated birthdays. We just mushed them into one, since all are within about 3 months: mine, Mom's, brother's, sister's. I married someone with a birthday in this time frame, and my brother not only did the same, but also had his daughter in September. (Not sure what my sister was thinking, marrying a June person and having a kid in March!)

I did a fair amount of pouting when the birthday cake ended up having coconut in it. It looked pretty, but I really loathe coconut. Pickle cake? Sushi cake? Tofu cake? Fine. Dandy! Just not a coconut cake, please. Accusations flew... Did Mom really forget my feelings about coconut, or was she trying to sneakily help my cholesterol level? She sounded innocent, but you never know...

I was really surprised when Hubby came home last night with this beautiful cake. He got lots and lots of bonus points for that. Thanks sweetie!

14 comments:

Sabine said...

I am not entirely sure if I am too late now or too early, but...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Sabine

Ericka said...

happy birthday! it looks yummy, so enjoy your cake!

Anonymous said...

Who wouldn't want a hubby like that!

Anonymous said...

Happy, um, birthdays.

Why must there be such animosity towards the simple coconut. Even within my own family there are those who enjoy the slighty sweet, slighty milky treat and those who find it bland and even detestable. Poor, poor coconut.

But pickle cake? Sushi cake?

*shudder*

Tofu cake... probably not, but it has some potential I suppose...

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you. And your Mother, brothers, sisters, husband, sister in law and niece. And a big boo to your sister for marrying someone with the wrong birth month and having a child in the wrong month. There's a black sheep in every family, ha,ha..

sugarcreekfarm said...

Yum. E. That cake looks so good! Happy birthday!

Anonymous said...

Well happy birthdays to the lot of ya, and congrats on picking a hub who'll come home with a cake like that!

Ha. You should've eaten all the icing off the joint family cake, in revenge for the coconut. Just getting your share, by volume.

amarkonmywall said...

Now THAT is a cake! Happy Birthday, one and all. I can't stand coconut-feels like having dental floss shreds in your mouth. Or something. I've always thought it's the destruction of otherwise perfectly good German chocolate cake.

I was here looking at your purple yesterday but too envious to comment.I'm trying hard not to be envious of other people's flora. Purple is a fine color-one of the best- as it occurs in nature but once interior decorators get their hands on it, look out.

R.Powers said...

Happy at the appropriate day Birthday!

gawilli said...

What a nice guy! Happy Birthday.

Rurality said...

Thanks everybody! My Mom called to apologize about the cake, and then I felt bad, because of course you shouldn't look a gift cake in the mouth.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I love coconut cake. It overwhelms me. If your mom sends me a coconut cake I'll come up and weed your Microstegium.

But even more so, it overwhelms me that you got what you wanted and that your sweetie knew it.

Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I'll even weed your Microstegium while your mom is sitting on the back stoop shooting at the invading cows. That's how much I love coconut cake.

robin andrea said...

Hey-- I almost missed your birthday. Just a day late. Hope you had a wonderful celebration. Your hubby definitely made up for the coconut cake with that chocolate extravaganza. That does look delicious. How was it?

Happy birthday.