Thursday, August 10, 2006

Five weird things



Ron from Toad in the Hole sent me a meme, to list five weird things about myself.

I am generally not superstitious, but feel compelled to kiss my finger and briefly hold it to the ceiling everytime I'm in a car that runs a red light.

I have a vivid imagination, and can sometimes spend too much time thinking about the worst thing that can possibly happen in any given situation. (That's why I fainted at the tourniquet portion of a Girl Scout first aid lecture.)

One of my previous goals in life was to have a penpal in every country of the world. A large world map covered with red pins was my wall art. I never achieved this goal, but still get a thrill every time I receive a postcard from somewhere far away. (Karen, Box 203 Allgood AL 35013, if you want to thrill me.)

I have a hard time buying just one book on a subject. Two is a minimum, but I feel a lot better with three, and five or six or twelve is really best.

I have a hypersensitivity to (can smell from a mile away) rancid oil and green peppers. It's fading as I age, though. In the past I could hardly stomach anything that had been cooked in the same oven as a dish containing green peppers.

I think that the thing you put in your mouth (or elsewhere) and the thing you hang outdoors should not both be called thermometers.

OK well that's six things. I was on a roll.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

(laughing) Thank you! (And thanks for the optimistic sun-thing photo, too.)

I'm with you on the many-books thing, and Joe's even worse. It's paid off, though. Household motto: "You can never have too many field guides."

Hey, that meme came to me all the way from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Or Lemoyne or New Cumberland or Mechanicsburg or thereabouts. So stick another pin in your map; just make it a different color.

Anonymous said...

I'd never heard of the kissing fingers and touching to the ceiling thing. Is that something you picked up or just made up for yourself?

Rurality said...

Ron, yep it goes particularly well for field guides! I wish I'd take a picture of that old map. So many countries would have different names nowdays.

JC, I got it from the boyfriend of one of my cousins, back in 1973. I've never seen anyone else do it, but I can't seem to stop even though I know it's completely lame. Anyway, it's supposed to keep the police from stopping you of course... as I recall the boyfriend bragged about being related to a famous rocket scientist, so I probably figured that he knew something I didn't...

Anonymous said...

I know many people who do the kissing the finger thing. Some even cross themselves.

Kay Cooke said...

What a great list! You are one weird person - in the nicest possible sense! Of course.