Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Happy amphibians

My first try at a video blog. Actually it's just for the sound, but you get to see me moving the camera around slightly.



These are the voices of Fowler's Toads (Bufo fowleri). (I think. Click on the link and listen to see if you agree.) After our recent rains, the dry swamp has some water in it again, and all is right in the amphibian world.

List of more Alabama frogs and toads here.

Upload your videos to YouTube!

Please let me know if the video doesn't work for you.

-----
Updated: I had second thoughts on my ID. I believe they may be Fowler's Toads rather than Eastern Narrow-mouthed Toads.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool!

I'd say they are narrow-mouth toads - very close to the high-pitched shrill of ours, but although I've seen a couple of fowler's, I haven't specifically heard them. So could be wrong.

We call our narrow-mouth toads "microheads". They call from under logs and rocks, seldom coming up to the surface. It does make them fairly easy to find. They are really weird looking!

meresy_g said...

Very cool. Was that hard to do?

Rurality said...

Wayne, listening to the recordings on that site, the Fowler's sound a lot like the NMTs, only the pitch is slightly lower.

No, it wasn't hard, it was so easy it was almost scary! :)

Anonymous said...

I COULD HEAR THEM!

Anonymous said...

Way cool. Now I want to see the feature length version. Love the sounds of summer evenings.

The dykes next door said...

I'm not sure what they are, but I believe that we have those here in Louisiana as well. I know that I have heard them before.

Anyone familiar with butterflies, please drop by my blog and help me identify the butterflies in my photographs. I am pretty sure about the two Swallowtails, but I'm not sure at all about the other one. I can put up another picture of the one I'm not sure about, showing the top of its wings, if that would help. I just have such a hard time getting photos to load that I settled for the three that worked.

Kay Cooke said...

That was amazing - never heard the likes! Thanks for taking the time and going to the trouble ... :)

Anonymous said...

I was afraid to try--between Windows98 and a dialup connection, I've had some bad experiences trying to access video files. But I tried it, and I liked it!!

Dana said...

I love the sounds of summer frogs and other insects and animals! I remember sitting on my grandmother's front porch and just listening as night closed in.

Right now, we have lots of cicada chirping. Very loud, but familiar.