Friday, March 31, 2006

Snake

I had to run out and try to plant some wildflower rescues before it rained. But I was stopped short by a very pretty black and yellow snake at the edge of the woods.

"Hello, little snake. You're very pretty. Thomas will definitely want to see you. Don't go away. Stay right there!"

He didn't listen to me though. By the time I got back with the camera, he was gone. I tried calling him, but it didn't work.

"Come back, pretty snake!"
(Snakes are above flattery.)
"Thomas will be so disappointed!"
(Snakes are impervious to guilt.)
"I'll make you a big star!"
(Snakes don't suffer from vanity.)

Oh, well. As with Thomas and his recent misadventures, things don't always work out like you plan.

OK, so what do I already have a picture of, that a first grade boy might like?

Maybe this.


Teeth on a deer skeleton.


Guess who dragged it into the yard.


Yep, that's who.

OK, Monk is coming on. It's the Halloween episode - I have to go watch Danny's house!

9 comments:

Kay Cooke said...

I thought I didn't like snakes - we don't have any over here in NZ, but lately I decided I'd reconsider as they are rather beautiful.
I love 'Monk'! That I do know.
Love this post too - it made me laugh! Cheers :)

R.Powers said...

Jasmine!
She is so pretty...too bad about the deer bone breath.

robin andrea said...

It's probably crazy to keep the camera with you at all times, but still... a black and yellow snake!

Jasmine is cute as ever. Hope Thomas likes the deer teeth.

Art Lad said...

Wow! I wanted to see the snake, but that's okay.

Blaze NEVER brings me anything good like a head or teeth. He did bite off a bird's head once, but that was gross.

Thank you!

JLLove said...

What a fun post! I wonder if it was a Rat snake. Check on this link.
http://www.snakesandfrogs.com/scra/snakes/brat.htm
Sorry Thomas missed him.
Hope the school discipline thing works out fairly.

Rachel said...

I was hoping to see a picture of the snake too. No, they are not good at minding what you tell them at all.

Jasmine is a beauty. I'm sure she thought you'd love the deer teeth/skull parts as much as she did!

doubleknot said...

A youngester may take deer teeth any day over just a snake.
I love Monk also. Can't wait till the new season starts.

Rurality said...

Thanks y'all!

Yep, I think it was a Black Rat Snake. He was very yellow on the bottom - more than some of those BRS pics... That's a great link JLL!

The main problem with "Monk" is that they make about 6 episodes per season, then wait about 2 years til they make new ones. Seems like that anyway!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous dog, beautiful coat!